MadmoiZelle speaks English

14 Octobre 2011
1 837
9 776
5 674
Hi girls !
This year I'm in a school where some of the lectures are given (not sure give is the right verb here) in English and I just love that ! In fact I'm really proud that I'm able to understand almost everything the teacher is saying, and I'm happy to practice my English as well. :gnih:
But I just have one problem : I can understand the teachers because they speak really slowly and use simple phrases, but I'm not able to understand a conversation or a conference if the talker does not make an effort so that non-native could understand him. For example, I'm not able to watch a movie without subtitles. I would like to improve that. So, do you think I should still watch videos with subtitles (in English of course) to train my ears ? Or  should I watch videos without subtitles, even if that means I would not understand everything but my brain would be less "lazy" and would concentrate more on what is said, and not only on what is written ?
Thanks for your answers ! :fleur: (Btw, does someone know how to say "Merci d'avance" in English ?)

(Do not hesitate to correct my message if there are some mistakes !)

30 Septembre 2013
2 484
4 874
Hi !
I'd liked to live in Australia and I have to speak a very good english. I have learned english only at school and since 3 years I look TV shows in english (with english subtitles).

So I'd liked to discuss here and, if it's possible, be corrected.

I hope I won't disturb :fleur:

31 Août 2008
1 173
3 244
Lorient
Hello !

I'm an 18 years old girl, from Lorient and I'd like to improve my english and, in the same time, meet new folks !
I hope I will !

20 Août 2012
heran;4380756 a dit :
(Btw, does someone know how to say "Merci d'avance" in English ?)

"Merci d'avance" is "thanks beforehand" (that's what my teacher told me) but some people say "thanks in advance" so I deduce that we can say both.

(correct me too if I'm wrong ! :shifty:)

28 Août 2006
2 368
1 248
4 984
heran;4380756 a dit :
For example, I'm not able to watch a movie without subtitles. I would like to improve that. So, do you think I should still watch videos with subtitles (in English of course) to train my ears ? Or  should I watch videos without subtitles, even if that means I would not understand everything but my brain would be less "lazy" and would concentrate more on what is said, and not only on what is written ?
I have the same problem and I'm actually asking the same question haha. I'm living in London and I try to go to the cinema once per week but it's hard for me to understand the entire movie without subtitles...but I think it's a good training and it also depends on (?) the actors and their accent, for instance I understand very easily the non-native english speakers, or american people but I have a huge problem with the english accent ><. I saw Diana three weeks ago and I understood almost the whole movie but when I saw Prisoners, I thought it was difficult to understand :sad:

14 Octobre 2011
1 837
9 776
5 674
erin;4419185 a dit :
I have the same problem and I'm actually asking the same question haha. I'm living in London and I try to go to the cinema once per week but it's hard for me to understand the entire movie without subtitles...but I think it's a good training and it also depends on (?) the actors and their accent, for instance I understand very easily the non-native english speakers, or american people but I have a huge problem with the english accent ><. I saw Diana three weeks ago and I understood almost the whole movie but when I saw Prisoners, I thought it was difficult to understand :sad:
Yes, it depends a lot on the accent of the actor. I'm not able to understand either australian, scottish or english speakers. I think I'll try to watch TV shows without subtitles. But I have to learn German from the very beginning on the same time so I could get my diploma, and adding this to my scientific lectures that is a huge amount of work. :halp:

30 Octobre 2012
2 324
I have a question ! J'ai une traduction à faire e il y a une phrase qui me pose problème, je ne la comprends pas. Si vous pourriez m'aider :

"A sceptical grunt from the driver of the tired, dust-coated grey Ambassador car."

J'ai commencé par : "Un grognement sceptique du conducteur..." mais je vois pas pour "of the tired" ? "de la fatigue" ? Et pour la suite, "dust-coated" je le traduirais par "revêtue de poussière". Mais je ne comprends vraiment pas ce que peut être le sens de la phrase.

30 Octobre 2012
2 324
donowitz;4433810 a dit :
nickel;4433787 a dit :
I have a question ! J'ai une traduction à faire e il y a une phrase qui me pose problème, je ne la comprends pas. Si vous pourriez m'aider :

"A sceptical grunt from the driver of the tired, dust-coated grey Ambassador car."

J'ai commencé par : "Un grognement sceptique du conducteur..." mais je vois pas pour "of the tired" ? "de la fatigue" ? Et pour la suite, "dust-coated" je le traduirais par "revêtue de poussière". Mais je ne comprends vraiment pas ce que peut être le sens de la phrase.
Ici, "tired" est un adjectif qui se rapporte à "car". Quel est le contexte de la phrase stp? Ainsi que la phrase en entier si possible.
Si j'ai bien traduit le début du texte, il y a deux garçons (sûrement des frères) dans une voiture qui se bagarrent. Ils sont sur une route et voient de loin des montagnes. La mère leur met un petit coup sur la tête (sûrement pour les calmer). Et voilà, après il y a cette phrase. Le conducteur, c'est leur père, vue la suite.

Aussi, avant cette phrase il y a "Hunh" pour le bruit du grognement. Le père doit en avoir marre de la route, ou de ses fils ou je ne sais pas...

Et la voiture doit être poussiéreuse, car un peu avant il est écrit : "A scuffle broke out between the boys on the sticky grime of the Rexine-covered...", que j'ai traduit par : "Une bagarre éclate entre les garçons dans la crasse poisseuse du "Rexine-covered..."

30 Octobre 2012
2 324
donowitz;4433949 a dit :
@Nickel.  : D'accord. Donc là, tu as bien compris que "Ambassador" c'est un type de voiture (à ne pas traduire par "ambassadeur" donc).

Tu peux essayer d'inverser ta phrase en ajoutant un verbe et en étoffant.

A sceptical grunt from the driver of the tired, dust-coated grey Ambassador car > Le conducteur de la vieille et poussiéreuse Ambassador poussa un grognement dubitatif.

Tu peux te faire une note pour toi à "Ambassador" et expliquer qu'il s'agit d'un modèle de voiture particulier si le prof te pose la question.

En revanche, ne coupe pas les phrases quand tu expliques le contexte (comme tu l'as fait pour la dernière) car "Rexine-covered" est un adjectif, et sans la suite, c'est difficile de déduire de quoi on parle. Cite toujours les phrases en entier (même si c'est long). ;)

Si tu veux, envoie-moi ta trad en MP que je te dise si c'est bon ou pas.
Merci beaucoup ! On continue tout ça par MP, je t'en envoie un dans quelques minutes :)

30 Octobre 2013
Hello tout le monde,
Je cherche des personnes pour échanger en anglais;
Mon niveau s'écroule de jour en jour et je suis arrivée à un niveau tellement basique que ce n'est pas sérieux pour le boulot.
Voilà, si vous connaissez des personnes qui sont dans mon cas.
Nous pouvons échanger en anglais puis en français et inversement...
J'aimerais également pouvoir progresser car j'aimerais pouvoir utiliser l'anglais pour dans ma vie perso. Pour pouvoir aider mes enfants dans leur apprentissage.
merci de votre aide.
:)

Adybou

Ambassadrice de Ville
15 Octobre 2012
62 464
296 396
10 404
Hi people(s ?) !

I'm new in the whole forum so I was looking through all of it and I thought this one was almost made for me :d ! I drive all my friends crazy by speaking english (even if I have to translate the parts they didn't understand héhé !) How are you ladies ?

Les Immanquables du forum

Participe au magazine !
Une info qu'on devrait traiter sur madmoiZelle ?

Nouvelle ou perdue ?
Pas de panique, on t'aime déjà !

La charte de respect du forum
Le guide technique &
le guide culturel du forum
Viens te présenter !
Un problème technique ?
Topic d'entraide sur l'orthographe et la grammaire

La chefferie vous informe
Les annonces de l'équipe concernant le forum et madmoiZelle
Rendre visite à madmoiZelle
Le médiateur du forum
Soutiens madmoiZelle financièrement
Topic dédié à la pub sur mad
Si vous aimez madmoiZelle, désactivez AdBlock !

Les immanquables
Les topics de blabla
En ce moment... !

Mode - Beauté - Ciné - Musique - Séries - Littérature - Jeux Vidéo - Etudes - Ecriture - Cuisine - People - Télévision

Envie de rencontrer des MadZ ?
Viens trouver le forum de ta ville !

Mode
Le pire de la mode
Ces vêtements qui te font envie
Ta tenue du jour
La tenue qui plaît
Tes derniers achats de fringues

Beauté
Astuces,bons plans économies & dupes
Le topic des vernis
Questions beauté en tout genre

Culture
Le meilleur des images du net
L'aide aux devoirs
Tu écoutes quoi ?
Quelle est ta série du moment ?
Quel livre lisez-vous en ce moment ?
Le dernier film que vous avez vu à la maison
Le topic philosophique

Société
Topic des gens qui cherchent du travail
Voyager seule : conseils et témoignages
Trucs nuls de la vie d'adulte : CAF, Banque, Mutuelle, Logement etc...

Les topics universels
Je ne supporte pas
Je ne comprends pas
Ca me perturbe
Je me demande
J'adore...
Je m'en veux de penser ça mais...

Cupidon
Le topic des amoureuses
Le topic des polyamoureuses
Les Célibattantes